Marmora Mine

Marmora Mine - a 75 Acre Man-made Lake

On the outskirts of the town of Marmora lies the Marmora Mine, an abandoned open pit iron mine that supplied iron ore pellets to the steel mills of Buffalo, New York, from 1955 to 1979.

The remaining pit stretches more than 656 feet deep and covers 85 acres at the surface. Underground streams fill the pit with water, officially making the mine a present day lake. The affording view over the water and of Marmora is a definite sight to see.

 

Address
Southeast of Marmora
Marmora, Ontario

Website
Marmora Mine

Driving Directions
From the 401, take exit 543 and follow Hwy 62 north to Hwy 14. Turn northwest to Stirling, and then straight on to Marmora, 22 km. north on Hwy 14. At the lights in Marmora, turn right and drive 1.5 km, and turn right at the Marmora Mine turnoff.

This historic site is located in ComfortCountry